Tuesday, March 26, 2013

ENDER'S GAME / SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD



    Good News Everyone!! Recently I was commissioned by Matthew Kalamidas at Science Fiction Book Club to illustrate the cover to a collection of the first two books in the Ender’s Game series, “Ender’s Game” and “Speaker for the Dead”.  Orson Scott Card’s “Ender’s Game” is a Hugo and Nebula Award winning novel which has inspired a Marvel Comics series, a video game and forthcoming movie starring Harrison Ford and Sir Ben Kingsley coming to theaters this November.   I was surprised, overwhelmed and then really excited by the potential image I could create for this beloved novel. 


After seeing all the past covers for the series I decided to treat mine more like a pre-production illustration for film rather than a stand alone book cover or theater poster style image.   Something I could hand off to a production designer.  I really wanted to get in and play with a little environment design and costume design for Ender's flash suit as well.  This however meant a ton more work than what would normally go into a sci fi cover illustration.
  
Matthew Kalamidas was kind enough to do an interview with me about the cover on his blog. Check it out when you have a chance.  
I had so much fun developing this painting that I figured I’d share the steps in its creation.  So for any students or Ender Wiggin fans out there, these next few posts are for you. Check back for updates....

Lastly, a close up of the kid with my initials proudly wearing the colors of Dragon Army!!!  The Enemy's Gate is what?!!!!




3 comments:

  1. Great young face Eric. The armor looks really cool and the details on the holograms are nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the fine work, Eric! What an enviable assignment! The novel series is so beloved. I’m glad Matthew Kalamidas saw value in your classic style.

    ReplyDelete